Created by the lived-experience experts at Red Card, this CPD-accredited e-learning course builds understanding of gambling-related harms, both for individuals and organisations.
The course helps users to understand the scale and impact of gambling addiction, to spot the warning signs and triggers in ourselves and those around us, and to signpost available sources of support.
This e-learning is approved by the Gambling Commission, CPDSO-Accredited and worth 6.5 CPD points. It will take around 1 hour to complete.
Who is this course designed for?
This CPD-accredited gambling awareness course is designed for professionals, companies, employers, employees and EAP (Employee Assistance Programmes). The online format makes it easy to access, and users can complete it confidentially, at their own convenience and at their own pace.
Why take this course?
Gambling addiction remains a largely hidden problem. It’s likely that if you work in a secondary school or medium-sized business that you have already encountered people struggling with a gambling problem. However, spotting the signs can be difficult – people around us who are having difficulties often fly under our radars.
This course will help you to understand gambling addiction better and identify those who are already experiencing problems, or who are at risk of doing so. Often, people affected by problem gambling aren’t aware of what support is available, so the course also offers comprehensive signposting.
The scale of the problem
Problem gambling in the UK is a huge and growing problem. It’s seen as a public health problem, or even an epidemic.
It is estimated that there are:
- 500,000 problem gamblers in the UK, with many more at risk.
- 55,000 11–16-year-old problem gamblers in the UK.
- up to 1 million women at risk of experiencing harm from gambling.
- over 2000 online gambling operators in the UK.
What the course covers
This one-hour course offers an effective introduction to:
- what gambling addiction looks and feels like
- the scale of problem gambling in the UK
- the structure of the gambling industry and how it works
- the nature of gambling advertising in the UK
- the negative impacts of problem gambling, including the links with mental health
- what support services are available
- what self-prevention tools are available to those with gambling problems
- the meaning of ‘affected others’ and how people in this group can support those close to them
About Red Card Gambling Consultancy
Red Card’s team of lived-experience facilitators deliver educational gambling awareness workshops around the UK. Our course draws on our first-hand knowledge, experience, and expertise in dealing with problem gambling.
A message from Tony Kelly, Red Card CEO
Please enjoy the course, engage with it, and take your time. We want you to not only gain your CPD certification at the end, but to gain valuable experience and understanding of gambling-related harms.